This is going to be my third long haul flight in a span of 15 days!!
I racked the internet weeks prior to flying out, preparing and knowing my skin was in for some serious damage. I can promise you guys no amount of makeup can camouflage that dullness and dryness as you will walk out of those airport doors, into the arms of your loved ones. So whether you are flying across the seven seas to see your spouse after months or expect greeting a house full of wedding guests right off the plane, you gotta make sure you look your best. It’s all about dewy cheeks and that glowing skin these days so hydrating and moisturizing is the key. As the cabin air saps all the moisture right out of your skin, leaving your eyes puffy, skin pale and lips chapped, you have to be ready to counter it with your travel beauty items.
I customized a simple, inexpensive beauty regimen for when in air for hours and after you land, to make sure you Fly and land looking Beautiful! I am quoting in this post some of the top rated beauty products that will keep my travel bag company but you can of course use whatever suits your skin. This is tried and tested ladies so here we go!
Keep Your Body Hydrated
So not just your face, but the entire body needs to stay hydrated up there.
It is recommended that you drink a glass of water for every hour in the air. I know that’s a lot to ask for and honestly I cringe thinking about using those restrooms on flight. Also with a 2.5 year old on board with me, I have no intention of spending every 2 hours waiting in a queue outside the bathrooms. So personally, the max I do is drink up and hold off till a stop over. Besides, I avoid tea, coffee and consume water or juices instead. I do take along a Camelback 1 liter water bottle to make sure I don’t have to ask for refills every hour.
In flight Regimen… Cleanse | Hydrate | Moisturize
I can literally swear by these three. Since I mostly travel with my 3 year old so in case it’s a long one, I pick a flight with stop overs. This helps give my baby and myself a breather and kind of breaks down the journey into parts. It does increase the overall count but that’s how I prefer it.
- So first things first as soon as you board, wipe off all that makeup and dirt or oil if any, using Neutrogena Make up Removing Wipes. What makeup will do is clog your pores and not let your skin breathe, wreaking havoc on it. So make sure you get rid of it before beginning with your regimen.
- Follow this by a spritz of the Claudalíe Beauty Elixir all over your face or any other hydrating mist to give your now naked skin a boost. You can spritz this mist throughout the flight, whenever you deem fit. Side by side apply the Neutrogena Restorative Lip Balm all over your lips in no particular order. I have found this balm actually soothing, taking care of chapped lips and preventing flaky skin as well. The best part about this lip care product is the fact that it’s not glossy at all. I just hate gooey looking lips with that sheen. Eeeek!
- Once you are done with your first meal in the air and it is time to get some shut eye, apply a hydrating mask on your face. I, for example use the Sephora face masks. These are mostly in the form of inexpensive sheet masks that are easy to apply and you have the luxury to take your pick from among many choices ranging from avocado and pomegrenate to green tea. Just tilt your head back and voila. Keep the mask on for 20 minutes and then remove. The best part about these sheet masks is that I haven’t found them runny and you need not rinse after. So just let it do its thing and you are all set for a while.
- If you have a stop over on the go, repeat the above regimen and just alternate the Sephora face mask with the Josie Maran 100% pure facial Argan oil for the remaining of your trip.
- Once you are up, put on a moisturizer and I recommend the Avène Cicalfate Restorative Skin Cream. Slather it on your now hydrated face.
Post Flight Regimen
Thirty minutes before you land, get those wipes cleanin’ again. Spritz the hydrating mist to get that glow. Once it dries off, use a Tarte concealer under the eyes and wherever else you deem fit. Let the Benefit cheek and lip stain add color to your cheeks and finish off with the Dior overcurl Mascara to perk up your peepers. If puffy eyes is your thing, get off-the-counter eye drops to deal with any swelling or redness. And jet, set..Go!
In case some of you are wondering and I am sure you are, how in God’s name you’ll find time for all this or how silly you’ll look with the mask on, hold on right there! Trust me girlies, this ain’t a fairytale, so you can ditch the fear of Brad Pitt sitting right next to you catching you in your mask. Don it right on and I promise no one will even notice. If you are particularly conscious, let the lights go off and then get your funky business on. I have had friends and siblings make fun of my travel bag but when landed and I get compliments like, ‘Can’t tell you just got back from a 20 hour long flight.’ or for that matter, ‘Did you get something done on your face?’, well….kinda says it all.