For many of you, Halloween is probably one of the best days of the year. Scary movies, spooky playlists, pumpkins carved with evil grins, buckets full of tooth-rooting candy, rad costumes—there’s so much to love about this creepy-crawly holiday.
If you’re as enthusiastic about Halloween celebrations as we are, you’ve already got your costume ready and waiting to be donned. But if you’re still confused and frantically searching for some cool new ideas, we have just the solution for you! Here are some last-minute costumes that you can whip up in no time, but still manage to look fresh, smart and original:
For this look, you’ll need:
- A turban or a headband, preferably black in colour. If you don’t have time to buy one, you can make your very turban at home using this tutorial as a guide.
- A brightly patterned gypsy skirt.
- A loose, black blouse.
- Lots of black eyeliner to give your eyes a dramatic and mysterious look.
- Props, like a pack of tarot cards or a glass ball.
If you want to dress up as Professor Trelawney from Harry Potter, add a pair of thick-framed glasses and tousle up your hair to give it a windswept/frizzy look.
Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany’s
To channel the legendary Ms. Hepburn, here’s what you require:
- A plain, black, sleeveless dress (you can’t call yourself a fashionista unless your wardrobe contains at least one!).
- A pair of elbow-length black gloves. If you don’t own one, you can easily purchase them from a beauty outlet.
- A sleek black cigarette holder.
- Black eyeliner (be sure to apply a generous amount).
- A string of thick pearls from your jewelry collection.
Pull up your hair into a thick bun, and voila! Your look is complete.
Uma Thurman from Pulp Fiction
If you’re a fan of the shadowy yet gorgeous Mia, how about taking inspiration from her minimalist yet smart dress sense? For this costume, you’ll require:
- A pair of black bootleg pants
- A plain, white, button-up shirt. Keep the last few buttons open and leave the shirt untucked
- Black ballet flats
- A wig of sleek, shoulder-length hair. If you already sport short hair with bangs, all you need to do is to dead-straighten your hair. However, if you have long hair, here is how you can fake a lob.
We have a soft spot in our hearts for these colourful, sea-dwelling creatures. If you want to try this fun and unique costume idea, here’s what you’ll need:
- Your favourite plain white t-shirt.
- A white or silver umbrella. If you don’t have one, use any umbrella and spray-paint it a silver colour.
- Silver or golden shimmery tights.
- Lots of furry yarn.
- Battery operated fairy lights
Poke small holes into the edges of the umbrella’s canopy and then string threads of yarn through them. And that’s all you need to do! The canopy makes up the “head” of the jellyfish, while the stringed yarns are the “tentacles”. Tape one or two strings of fairy light in the umbrella and when you turn it on, it will look as if you are flowing like a jelly fish.
The Joker from The Dark Knight
This one is simple with more focus on makeup rather than the costume itself. For the costume you will need:
- Dress pants
- A dress shirt
- A waist coat
- Makeup/paint (whichever you prefer)
- A green wig (not necessary if you are unable to find one)
You need to coat your whole face with white paint or powder. Then just take black eye shadow and smudge it all around your eyes. Use your red lipstick not just on the lips but elongate the line all way to make it into a big smiling line extending to your cheeks. Voila! You have an amazing Halloween look ready within minutes!
So now you have a range of last-minute costume inspirations to choose from. They’re all extremely simple and so much fun to create. We end on a festive note by wishing you a terrific Halloween filled with fun, frolic and fear!